Self & Other - Matter & Not




Nihilism, in essence, doesn’t have to be an end goal - rejecting life and self. No, that isn’t the latent use value hidden there. Nihilism need not be feared either. Nothingness, the void, is most supreme in separating a thing from a thing even from that very thing which it is. At the moment, I am most concerned with how nihilism separates me from the Other and Self from animal. Solipsistically, how can I know, whether another human being is a gregarious malleable animal primed, conditioned, and capable of being directed by the whims of puppet masters and manipulators or a conscious being capable of free thought?

When one sees advertisers, politicians, and religious leaders holding sway over the masses, it’s difficult to think that the said masses could ever be fully conscious. How do they not see the deceptions and narratives appealing to their sensory inputs? There’s nothing that leaves a bad taste in the mouth more than knowing you’ve been misled. But, isn’t it strange just how often people don’t realize they are being misled or, at least, can’t accept it? Why is that?

Devotion requires more than just a thought. It requires a part of someone whether that be an actual tangible possession, money (the nominal measurement and expression of one’s apparent value to the society they belong to), their time, or offering up something of one’s physical freedom (most notoriously for religion’s sake - one’s sexual freedom). The more one has offered much of one or more of these aspects of themselves to a cause or to another individual, the more they are invested and attached - making it more and more difficult to turn away. 

That turning away is a form of nihilism. It’s rejecting the sway that’s been held over one’s self which ultimately means rejecting this paradigm, this lens, through which one has been looking through. The ultimate nihilism occurs when one says no to all those paradigms, realizing that they are all different lenses with which to see the world. But, can one find this nihilism without first negating self to observe Self?

How am I to see my attachment to a group, a leader, or even an idea if at first I don’t take the time to take off “Self” and analyze it? I have to be able to recognize a possible yearning for acceptance or a fear of abandonment - two great motives for following the crowd. By following the crowd, I’m keeping myself safe. Yet, I’m not satisfied because I’m never quite sure who or what I am if I just play the part. Once I’ve let go of these yearnings - these attachments - and conquered my fears - such as the fear of rejection or the feeling of having wasted so much time - that’s when I can begin to allow myself to turn away.

Isn’t it mystifying? Becoming ever more aware of one’s self? It’s the one thing the devoted group and its leaders keep people from doing? If you discover who you are and where you stand, that leader just lost a follower and the cohesion of the group is challenged. So are people just gregarious sheep? I think not entirely. I think they find comfort in being amongst “the group”. 

Playing a part amongst the stage of the group, one oftentimes negates their vulnerability to loneliness or abandonment in order to “fit in”. In negating those vulnerabilities, one finds safety. It is the job of the leader to exploit this desire for safety and keep their disciples from exploring different paths that could be better. The leader always has to keep the group intact - invoking fear and paranoia of what might occur if the people ever dare to leave and desire for the rewards of staying.

Fear. Desire. These are the key components to appeal. Only when when one negates these facets of life, whether they seek “Enlightenment”, scientific inquiry, or to “Touch the Divine” can they superimpose themselves and realize the nature of the group, of the other, and the self. Every marketing campaign and every preacher makes an appeal to fear or desire at some level. By negating fear and desire, one begins to sever the cord of manipulation and catches glimpses of being and nothingness.

This is awareness and it is attainable. Some people find this to be their ultimate goal and are at peace in staying there.  Some, however, want to throw themselves back into the world to encourage others and lead them in the direction of this amazing awareness! But, how can it be done without once again appealing to fear and desire? If I say, “Hey! I’ve found this amazing thing! Come and let me show you!” am I not at risk of being the leader swaying others? Everybody wants a taste of something true and meaningful but what an interesting thing that the most true and meaningful thing a person can ever find is right there within themselves?

Some materialists have gone about speaking of raising the consciousness of people in order to start some revolution. Currently, many people think they can raise the awareness of how people view others by trying to tell them or influence them on what they can or cannot say but herein lies the truth about human nature: you cannot easily move a people toward your way of thinking no matter how hard you try. There has to be a yearning there to discover and explore away from one’s comfort zone. Another thing: logic isn’t it. As much as some would like to create a rational world, it is impossible as we are not purely rational beings. And who would want a purely rational world, anyhow? Imagine art and music? Where does that come from but deep within the psyche - behind logic? Let’s just be honest. Our prefrontal cortex is not the most ancient part of our brains.

We are a feeling species. Why do we feel? Because it is a part of surviving and of thriving! I can logically deduce this and observe it but that doesn’t stop me from being a part of this grand schema called humanity. One thing I’ve discovered is that people are put off by one who doesn’t appear to feel - who spends so much time in their calculations and deductions. This is why psychology, philosophy, literature, music, and art are beautiful paths to explore. They cause one to try and view the world through someone else’s eyes all the while knowing that they are them and that we are we. This is how one sees the bigger picture.

And, thus, life is a constant struggle between knowing who I am - which is constantly changing through new input being received - and interacting with the other who sometimes challenges me to be more, sometimes causes me to see myself more, or sometimes causes me to measure my views against theirs. Yes sometimes the other is hell but paradoxically the other is also a way for me to know myself. But how can I ever see the similarities and differences between them and myself if at first I don’t recognize nothingness?







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Illusions and the Real Thing

How Did I Get Here?

Blind Reverence